About the Llewellyn Manor House
Please Note: All historical pages on this website are considered works in progress. Writing will be adjusted as more information becomes available. If you have a source that could improve or correct our information, please reach out to us.
The Llewellyn Manor House is a grand property built in the Georgian tradition. It is one of the oldest structures on the estate and has a long and storied history.
Origins and Owners
The first owner and original builder are not known at the time of this writing, but we do know the building was erected in 1821. In 1895 William H. Llewellyn acquired the property and we have the beginnings of more consistent documentation. In 1926 Llewellyn passed away and bequeathed the home and property to Henry Swartley, his long time apprentice, business partner, and confidante.
In 1957 Arnold Bartschi purchases the Llewellyn Estate, including the main manor house. Bartschi found the home in a state of neglect and decided to restore it. During Bartschi’s time as property owner it is known that a woman named Anna Kimmage was employed as the mansion caretaker.
When Bartschi passed away in 1996 ownership of the home was transmitted to Henriette Bumeder as the acting head of The Bartschi Foundation. Bumeder never used the Llewellyn Manor as her home and instead opted to leave it unattended. The Manor experienced several bouts of vandalism, causing it to be boarded up and nailed shut.
In 2018 Henriette Bumeder passed away and bequeathed the foundation and manor house to Bill and Kim Coyle, albeit in its current disheveled state.
Manor Home Usage and Information
When observing the picture of the manor home above, the left-most wing was highly utilized during decades when the Japanese gardens were open to the public. The lower floor was a gift shop while the upper floor was an art room. Attached to the gift shop was a large banquet room that featured a Steinway piano.
The home features a servant’s kitchen, which feels small to modern eyes but it must be remembered that wealthy owners would not spend any time in that kitchen and therefore it did not need to be grand. The money was instead spent on impressive gathering halls or dining areas.